[cma-l] Fw: Re: comty radio and campaigning

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 25 09:26:03 GMT 2011

Interesting story Claire - and it rings true for many I'm sure...

Keep 'the opposition' coming in - grill them ruthlessly of course a sthat
gives you balance - and in the end our Tory comrade has the choice of
letting his enemies have their say or utilising the platform himself.

As they say - if you cant stand the heat....

Good luck!

Phil

On 24 January 2011 23:03, claire penketh <clairepenketh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> An interesting and pertinent debate to us at the moment. Here at Stroud FM
> I strive for all our presenters to be impartial and for our range of guests
> to be challenged about their views,  so that all sides of the argument are
> covered. I personally believe that taking a one sided stance doesn't work,
> but a lively debate does. It also, I think, makes better  radio. So, the
> opposition lib dems put out a press release stating they were opposed to the
> cuts at the county council level, we interview the  County council
> opposition lib Dem leader and ask them where they think the cuts should be
> made, as made they have to be. We interview the leader of the
> tory controlled county council, and challenged him to explain exactly why he
> is introducing savage cuts in the libraries, youth services, care for the
> elderly.  He gives a lively account and defence as to why those area's are
> being targeted. All should be happy eh? Nope, the tory leader of the  county
> council, it would appear, has blacklisted us because we gave him too hard a
> time by asking fair but tough questions.  At the moment,  he has, so we
> understand, decided he won't  be doing interviews with us.... which I find
> rather galling..., it would appear that some other councillors are backing
> his stance, and are therefore not coming on to talk about even minor issues
> that are not related to the cuts
>
> Still, no doubt all those who oppose the plans will be more than happy to
> come on air and all we can do is say that immortal line.. "We tried to get
> someone from the ruling party on the county council to talk to us.. but no
> one was available..."
>
> Hey ho... you try your best..
>
> Claire Penketh, stroud fm station manager
> Better to have given it a go than never to have tried at all

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net