[cma-l] Local TV and the CMA brand

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Thu Jan 20 13:06:36 GMT 2011

To try and be clear about how things stand with local TV.  Jeremy Hunt wants
it to happen and his speech yesterday is to be welcomed as a commitment to
plurality of voices on - and potentially unparalleled access for communities
to - broadcast spectrum.  However the model he appears to be favouring - a
national network affiliate channel at the spine with guaranteed local opt
outs - is not one most us signed up to ULTV feel confident about.  If a
spine is non negotiable then there are big issues around who operates that
spine and on what basis.   If it's not-for-profit then we are in with a
chance, I'd say, but that is unlikely to be the government intention.  They
are still talking about auctioning all the spectrum.  So while it's a
confused picture  there is still much to play for right now, and in answer
to Alan's question, yes, I believe it is absolutely worthwhile to be
pursuing this opportunity and to take as much public opinion with us as
possible - towards our charter commitment 'to encourage creative expression
and to contribute to the democratic process and a pluralist society'   Where
are we as a community media organisation if we do not seek to secure our
place on one of - if not the most powerful platforms around - namely
DTT/Freeview.

Let's be clear about the BBC £25,000,000 earmarked for local TV - this was
agreed as part of the BBC licence settlement and is specifically for the
purpose of enabling a new network of local TV to be set up.   There is no
possibility that this money or any part of it  would be re-directed towards
community radio and CMA would have absolutely no chance of winning that
argument.

Of course the radio sector badly needs more central government support and
CMA is making that case on a daily basis.  But let's keep our discussions to
achievable ends - we do not live in an ideal world, and we need to be both
realistic and circumspect in our demands.

Finally, on the subject of the jingle.  I think it's a great idea - because
it builds brand awareness around the principles of why we do what we do.  We
would need to generate a short piece of generic content to go with it
explaining what CMA is - for the station website and for occasional
(weekly?) broadcast.   I think we need to be asking 'in a multi platform
universe how do we distinguish community friendly, accurate content
generated with integrity from the plethora of information and opinion out
there?'  One way is to promote CMA as a brand of integrity - not to promote
membership, although that may prove a positive spin-off, but as an end in
itself, as a way of saying 'this is the kind of work we make, it has a value
and comes from a place you can trust.'  That is of course if we have all
actually read the charter when we signed up and have imbued its values in
our work!  I have to say when I last raised this on these lists the response
was very limited and seemed to me to miss the essential point, but here's
hoping this time round!

Best wishes to all

Phil