[cma-l] [comradio-l] Community radio cited in Lords debate

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 17 12:32:56 GMT 2011

Very interesting.
Congratulations to both Leith FM and Lord Foulkes, and thanks to CMA for
highlighting it.

In context, the Lords were trying to tease out what could be done to
'capture' the 3.5 million ellgible people who are not registered to
vote, and who include disproportionate numbers of 17-24 year olds,
people living in rented accommodation and people from black and minority
ethnic communities.

Lord Foulkes' point occurs as part of the debate on an amendment
focusing on black and minority ethnic communities, moved by Lord Boateng.
Lord Boateng says:
"It is clear that a disproportionate number of the 3.5 million people
not caught by the electoral register are drawn from the black and
minority-ethnic communities.

"We have identified the problem, which is accepted by noble Lords on all
sides of the House, but what is to be done? Something must be done. The
Minister accepts that something needs to be done. What I am seeking to
tease out and to progress in this debate is what that might be. We know
that this issue, if left simply to the passage of time, will not get any
better."

Although he mentions people making programmes, Lord Foulkes' championing
of radio is given in the context of an alternative to printed leaflets
when engaging people in hard-to-reach groups.

But MPs and Peers need to 'get' community broadcast media as the two way
street that it already is.

Action/response from the community media sector should include NOT JUST
making sure that local MPs and Peers know about the local licensed
stations and media groups/ training organisations in their area
(although important, obviously)
BUT ALSO
1. leading and publicising local campaigns to increase voter
registration in the area - and also to clarify why people don't register
+ to allay their possible fears regarding registering (do it now - the
Lords debate was partly about the shortness of the time-scale proposed
by the Bill as to when boundary changes should be made)
2. broadcasting, logging and publicising online the views and concerns
of voters/potential voters in the area
3. highlighting, explaining and encouraging participation in proposed
'official' changes - such as local consultations, eg. on library
closures etc - and not least, on the potential effect of this Bill on
the boundaries and/or names of some wards and constituencies around the
country.

Doing that already, you probably say... Great, please share here.
And looking forward to more mentions in Hansard.....

Cathy Aitchison
London Link Radio