[cma-l] Fwd: Murdoch's secret meetings with Jeremy Hunt - email your MP!!

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 16:07:18 GMT 2011

 [mailto:action at 38degrees.org.uk]
*Sent:* 13 January 2011 15:47*
Subject:* Breaking news: Murdoch's secret meetings with Jeremy Hunt

[image: 38 Degrees Logo]

[image: Rupert Murdoch]<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f810/3499939592/VEsH/>

*Jeremy Hunt is having secret meetings with Murdoch's lobby team. It looks
like they could be trying to strike a deal.*

*If thousands of us email our MPs*, *we can create a furore and stop him
getting away with it.*

[image: Email Your
MP]<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f810/3499939592/VEsE/>

Dear Heather

It's just been *revealed by the BBC that Ofcom think there are big problems
with Murdoch's BSkyB power grab.* [1] Their report to Jeremy Hunt says the
Competition Commission needs to be involved.

But *Jeremy Hunt is sitting on the report *and refusing to make it public.
Instead, he's been locked in secret meetings with Murdoch's representatives.
[2] It looks like *he could be trying to cook up a way of giving the Murdoch
power grab the green light*.

Things could move very quickly - if Jeremy Hunt thinks he can get away with
this, *he could give Rupert Murdoch the go-ahead in the next couple of days*.
We need to move fast to create a political storm about this dodgy behaviour,
and speak up in favour of the independent inquiry which Ofcom says is
necessary.

The more attention we get for the issue from MPs and the media, the less
room Jeremy Hunt has to stitch anything up.*We need to flood our MPs with
messages today telling them to speak out against the secrecy*. Jeremy Hunt
needs to be hearing from MPs in all parties saying he has to follow Ofcom's
recommendation.

Please *click here to send an urgent e-mail to your MP*. Demand an end to
the secret meetings and for Jeremy Hunt to do what Ofcom has said he should
do:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/hunts-secret-meetings<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f811/3499939592/VEsF/>

The BBC's Robert Peston sums up the suspicious behaviour of Jeremy Hunt:
"What I don't understand is why Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary, has not
simply published the report and announced that there will be a further
Competition Commission enquiry". [1] *Why is he only showing the report to
Murdoch's lobbying team?* There's a real risk he's working with them to find
a way round the Ofcom report.

*If thousands of us e-mail our MPs today, Jeremy Hunt will realise that the
public won't stand for a new conspiracy with Rupert Murdoch. *MPs will start
contacting Jeremy Hunt directly telling him their voters are up in arms!

Together *we've proved that it is possible for people to stand up to Rupert
Murdoch and win.*When we first started our campaign to challenge Murdoch's
BSkyB power grab, even some 38 Degrees members thought we had bitten off
more than we could chew. But now we've discovered that our pressure has
persuaded Ofcom to make the right recommendation. People power is
working -*let's
work together today to stop Jeremy Hunt* trying to dodge us.

*Please take two minutes to send an e-mail to your MP and ask them to speak
out:*
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/hunts-secret-meetings<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f811/3499939592/VEsC/>

Thanks for being involved,

Hannah, David, Johnny and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES
[1]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2011/01/ofcom_says_news_corps_sky_bid.htm
[2]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/10/news-corp-bskyb-bid?INTCMP=SRCH

The bigger we are the more we can do. Please forward this email to your
friends and ask them to get involved.

38 Degrees brings you together with over 250,000 people to take action on
the issues that matter to you and bring about real change. To find out more
visit our website<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f812/3499939592/VEsD/>
, Facebook<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f813/3499939592/VEsA/>
 or Twitter<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f80c/3499939592/VEsB/>
.

Donate: 38 Degrees doesn't accept money from government, big business, or
political parties. We rely on donations from individuals to help pay for the
technology, the research, the equipment and the small office we need to
organise campaigns. Support our work by donating
here<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05da0/2d40d977/58b30608/4674f80d/3499939592/VEsO/>

*38 DEGREES* Registered Company No. 6642193

--
Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association