[cma-l] Murdoch and the tea party to come

LOL GELLOR lolgellor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 20:36:46 GMT 2011

Mark you have a point or even two -  I'n not a card carrying member of any political party - I would describe myself as a hardcore small L fluffy liberal - to quote a song "never put your trust in politicians or landlords they'll always let you down" it never did get released.

On my now ex station -the legendary Sound Radio, which didn't quite kill me - in pursuit of my fluffy ideals I probably disagreed with about 85% of the speech content - but defended almost to the death the rights of those to express their views. Now heavens forbid Mark that you should be one of those blighters, rather like the BBC at it's worst who claim balance but all is ultimately mediated by their own/generally "Educated" Western sensibilities, or the Fox stance which is - we don't ever discuss balance we
 are just right.

What I did get out of the Sound Radio experience, aside from the opportunity to be cogniscant of the finer legal points of personal debt, was a tremendous view of the world assisted by all the communities and individuals broadly unfettered by mainstream sensibility. Who can forget studio guest Sheik Omar Bakri on our Jewish World Today programme or the live interview with Yasser Arafat whilst under house arrest, with our roving Columbian reporter, the kidnap victims released following our "Voices of the kidnapped" programmes, the afro centric programming detailing the evil deficiencies of the white man (which I listened to with some degree of sympathy and ironic good humour  whilst trying to scrape up some money to keep the station going) hey ho happy days.

On the comedian front -
I do recall being surrounded by all your favourite comedians (inc. Jeremy Hardy) at a friends wake (the wonderful Linda Smith) most of whom, to be fair,
 came from a political or politicised background so why wouldn't they approach their humour in any other way. Good luck to them if the Beeb gives them a living. Personally I'm a bit more of a Frankie Boyle fan, where pretty much anyone or anything is fair game - even when it's not really funny. The funny thing of course is historically a lot of comedians were really rather right wing - when the entertainment regime embraced it of course - survivors tend to change with public (or media managers) taste. It is a business that is predicated on taking a position whether Sun friendly or Guardian friendly. Ask Jimmy Tarbuck, Bruce Forsthye, Ronnie Corbett et al - and have a word with Charlie Williams if you get a chance

On the switch off front
You're quite right Sound Radio had the most confrontational disclamier possible, almost  imploring listeners of a sensitive disposition to switch off - if they were likely to be offended by ideas, language or
 artforms - and giving them the right to reply on air - guess what no one ever took me up on the offer. And yes some people were listening I'm almost certain.

On the BBC front
1/ Going on the assumption you're being a good boy and paying it - you need as a Brit to have something to moan about. And more importantly we could yet still make a case for taking some of it off them for us (not personally -though i guess if it was enough  perhaps you get the home of your dreams as a backdated bonus).

2/ Well yes -  fair enough - the BBC are greedy (space for adjective) frequency (plural rude word) < I will be moderated if I haven't been already>. We had to demonstrably agree at some point.

On that note of agreement I leave the ongoing love fest that is Community Media debate until next I am forced to be in my office on a Saturday night. But don't cry for me - there is a party downstairs and they're serving some splendid South Indian Kerrala grub.