[cma-l] Murdoch and the tea party to come

ROBERT TYLER bobtyler at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 1 11:51:13 GMT 2011

How many
radio stations carry a top of the hour news service? As far as I know there are
just two providers of radio news in the UK, one is the BBC the other is IRN (Sky
News Desk).

The later
being debatable as to if it is ‘sponsored’ and not permitted within the Ofcom
Code in respect of sponsoring news.

On TV we
have Russia Today, al jazeera, Press TV and others. Some would say these
services cover the news in a certain way but responsible viewers take a view on
the content of such services and form an opinion. If News International were to
take control of BskyB,  viewers (and
Listeners) can make a choice.

Sounds to
me like it is yet another opportunity for the sector to use to its advantage
and increase its contribution to the democratic process.

My original point is that if ownership of BskyB were to
change hands then I am sure the Government would be looking to do deals with NI
both above and below the line. To get his way Murdoch will no doubt do a deal
for the Sun to support the tories at the next election and hand over millions to
DCMS project funds. Small fry compared to the billions the deal will make for
him.

How many millions does the sector need over the next five
years?