[cma-l] Local election interviews

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 12:16:41 GMT 2011

This probably represents the best advice. There's also useful tips
here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/news/news-2011-01-10/

The same rules on balance apply to local councils as they do to
national parliamentary and the referendum. You should offer everyone
standing the opportunity to take part, even if they decline. Remember
this? http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/broadcast-bulletins/obb162/
   - a station who failed to invite everyone. How you choose to
interview them though, is largely up to you. But there needs to
opportunities and balance across the output. Specifically "Rule 6.10
requires that if a broadcaster is to broadcast a programme containing
a report or discussion about a particular electoral area, the
broadcaster must offer candidates from other parties (and independent
candidates) with previous significant electoral support, an
opportunity to take part in that programme." So, that may mean you
don't need to invite Bill from the save my shed party - unless he was
the sitting candidate who's about resign and stand independently.

The councillors may feel they don't want to talk and that's up to
them. They cannot, of course, take part in programmes where there is
no balance. So, any weekly 'moan-in' type features should be suspended
- so maybe that's their concern

Richard

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
Room 212, The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
www.twitter.com/sunderlandradio
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio