[cma-l] Local TV questions

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Fri Feb 25 12:53:09 GMT 2011

Dear members and friends

As we prepare a statement to DCMS on local TV (for the deadline this Monday,
see previous post of earlier today) it would be helpful to get any feedback
you can offer on the following questions posed by government in the 'Local
Media Action' plan.

*  What would be the appropriate balance of local and network content?
*Would local perspectives on national and international news be desirable
and/or feasible?
* Apart from news and current affairs, what other local content would be
desirable?
* What times of day are most appropriate for the broadcast of local content?
* Would a selection of ?local interest? content be well received if
broadcast
as network programming?
* How local should the content be? Community, town, nearest city, county,
borough?
* How do these issues differ across the devolved nations?
* Broadcasting policy remains a reserved matter but what do audiences in the
nations want from any local TV services?

 Personally I think DCMS has missed some important questions e.g. -

* what model of service would best empower communities?
* what are the key characteristics of a successful relationship between
spine service and local providers?

Any feedback appreciated.

Phil

Phil Shepherd