[cma-l] Charitable Status

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:45:05 GMT 2011

Nick

It may not be easy to sustain a station on much less than £50k total (though we do), but bear in mind that grant and donation income, and wages expenditure are 'non-business' items outside the scope of VAT, so don't count towards the threshold, which is based on your supply of goods and services to others in the course of business.

Wages are often the largest outgoing for a small community station. It is quite possible to be running a station whose business outputs that are within the scope of VAT are well below the threshold. Equally this is why it is possible for such a station to be a net recipient of VAT repayment.

You are only forced to register for VAT if your supply of goods and services by way of regular business exceeds £70,000 per annum, not your total turnover or ocaasional activities not falling within the meaning of business.

Alex