[cma-l] Charitable Status

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:14:48 GMT 2011

Just a quick follow-up. Of course what Jaqui says re the facts of VAT registration is correct, and as long as you can demonstrate to HMRC that you are or will be carrying out *any* business activity (even if the bulk of your activity is non-business), then you can elect to register for VAT, and HMRC cannot refuse you.

Where I would differ slightly is from the opinion that "it really is not worth the hassle of the extra accounting unless you are quite close to the threshold."

For a station in an ongoing routine trading position, revenue-in, revenue-out, that might be the case (or might not if they are grant-funded but have a lot of VAT expenditure). But for a station in the start-up phase when there is typically a lot of money outside the scope of VAT coming in (grants, donations, fundraising etc), but a lot of VAT going out (buying transmiters, equipment, services etc), then I would suggest it is almost certain to be worth the (very limited) extra accounting work for what is effectively a 17.7% discount on all VATable outgoings.

We were a net recipient of around £10,000 VAT in our first 18 months, and could have chosen to de-register at that point and waved the VATman thanks and goodbye. That's quite proper and legal.

Bear in mind that for equiment of lasting value (not for services) you can reclaim the VAT on expenditure prior to registration as well. It has to be for items you still have and that are of continuing value (eg studio equipment) and it is rare to go back more than 3 years, but it can be done. A reasonable approach to claiming back pre-reg VAT is to apply a similar principle as straight-line deprececiation - claim the full VAT on things bought in the last year, two-thirds of the VAT for stuff from the previous year, and one-third for stuff bought up to three years prior. As long as it is for durable items that you have the VAT invoices for there should be no problem. We had no problem with it.

As it happens we stayed registered after set up, even though we are well below the threshold. In some quarters we are net gainers, but mostly we have to make a small payments of VAT - but this is not a loss as such - we are only handing over VAT received from customers. Also we have found occasionally it's useful to be registered for VAt because trade suppliers, discount warhouses, councils and agencies regard having a VAT number as evidence that you are running a bona-fide busines.

The only real downside to VAT is if the bulk of your supplies are to non-registered people who can't claim back the VAT, since that effectively raises your prices 20% for them. However if most of your business sales are, for example, to local businesses, the council, charity advertising etc, then your customers can most probably reclaim the VAT and it will make no difference to them.

Jaqui is right that partial exemption is a minefield. It is not something you would want to get into if there's an easier way, and is unlikely to be of huge benefit. HMRC's internal guidance to officers is that it should be used only where there is no other sensible course, and that it has to be set up and calculated very carefully - a lot of work. Bottom line: stay away from it.

However, that does not preclude ad hoc exemption of specific occasional activities as long as you keep a proper record of them. Most typically if you are running a fundraiser event and don't want to charge VAT on the entrance tickets or sales at the event, you can elect to declare that specific event an non-business activity outside the scope of VAT, and as long as you don't try to claim back the VAT for anything bought for it (eg prizes, posters, what have you) then you don't have to charge VAT on the income either.

Alex