[cma-l] Charitable Status

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Tue Feb 8 10:25:09 GMT 2011

Dear all

Just as a point of clarification re VAT registration:

It makes no difference at all whether you are a CLG, CIC, charity or
charitable company.  If the sources of your income fall within the scope of
VAT, and the total of those sources in scope exceed the VAT threshold,
currently £70,000, then you MUST register for VAT.  Whether income is within
the scope depends on its nature.  So an out and out grant will not be, a
service level agreement may or may not be (even if for education/training)
depending on the wording and whether the funding body treats it as within
the scope, ads and sponsorship etc almost certainly will be.  Any of the
above organisation types can register voluntarily for VAT but it really is
not worth the extra accounting hassle unless you are quite close to the
threshold (look on the HMRC website for the rules on VAT partial exemption
calculations requirements).  Partial exemption is a minefield!

Hope that helps

Jaqui

On 5 February 2011 18:57, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As I have said many times - the obvious solution is to run three businesses
> concurrently:
>
> 1 - The Community Radio station as a CIC which does not return a profit.
> 2 - A Charitable arm which can accept charitable donations which does not
> retrun a profit and feeds the station.
> 3 - A commercial limited company which can return a profit from a wide
> range of activities, is VAT-registered and feeds the station.
>
> It's sensible business practice - not rocket science.
>
> To lose that much VAT by default is just plain stupid - sorry!
>
> ------------------------------
> From: office at ccr-fm.co.uk
> To: info at a-bc.co.uk; cma-l at commedia.org.uk
> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:34:48 +0000
> Subject: Re: [cma-l] charity status
>
>  Glyn n’ all
>

> Thanks Glyn …………. As I said …. It looks like everyone is fumbling around in
> the dark. Either we can as a fraturnity / brotherhood or we can’t …….. which
> is it …. ??  I dunno’?
>

> Regards
>

> Nick

Jaqui Devereux