[cma-l] Charitable Status

idea idea at mcr1.poptel.org.uk
Sun Feb 6 11:56:03 GMT 2011

A CLG/Charity *can* register for VAT and depending on activity may
be able to reclaim some or all input tax.

Education and training are tricky areas, but not impossible. If you are
making substantial capital purchases in a CLG/Charity there are
legitimate ways
to organise this so that the VAT can be recouped.

It depends on what the items are used for *in the VAT year* in which they
are purchased. Last time I dealt with a VAT registration for such an org
(which *was* accepted and able to reclaim VAT) there appeared to be a
certain amount of flex and discretion and interpretation. Depending what the
first answer is it may be as well to stick or twist ..

Ask a friendly charity accountant for 10 minutes' advice.

Chris P
WFM