[cma-l] charity status

Murray Dawson murraywdawson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:43:16 GMT 2011

Hi all,

We registered as a charity in 2002 - it was a bit of a pain (6-8 weeks,
and a few letters), but it wasn't too hard.

We're not a charity because we're a radio station, we're a charity
because of the educational work we do with some of the most
disadvantaged people in Aberdeen.

Radio doesn't qualify for charitable status (neither does hospital
radio) and never will.
It's the impact on the individual or the community that is charitable.

Hope this helps?

All the best

Murray

On 04/02/2011 21:23, Julie at rwsfm.co.uk wrote:
> Guys
>
> We were a registered charity when we were hospital radio, I then spent
> 9 months arguing the toss with the Charity Commission on how we were
> just branching out in to the community. The response from the CC was
> that not everything community radio does is of a "charitable nature"
> unlike hospital radio which releaves the sick.
>
> You are correct in saying that the CC have no category for radio, and
> as far as I am aware have no intention of changing that anytime soon.
>
> My advice, don't waste your time and energy unless the CMA are
> prepared to take it up with Charity Commission, however, I did bring
> this up with Jacqui last year.
>
> Julie MacLeod
> Station Manager
>

> Quoting Office - ccr-fm<office at ccr-fm.co.uk>:
>
>> Dear All
>>

>> Just a quick enquiry ....... Does anyone know how many Community Radio
>> Stations in our fraturnity/brotherhood are actually charities ??     I know
>> that we looked into it 7 years ago but the process was a complete nightmare.
>> Also, in 2004 I clearly remember that the Charities commision simply had NO
>> category for radio ... it was almost as if they didn't understand it>?>?
>> I think the key to it and the crux of the matter was that we were
>> technically ''all over the place'' in what we were providing ... in
>> otherwords, providing a lot, but nothing specific !
>> almost          ''a jack of all trades but master of none''
>>

>> Have any of you guys had a similar experience ?                       I seem
>> to recall that there is a station on the south coast as a charity ??
>> plus         Regen (near to us) in South Manchester who do run Wythenshawe
>> FM and ALL FM ...... outside of that, I'm a bit clueless to be honest ...
>> Any ideas ?
>>

>> What about Sheffield and of course the CMA ?
>>

>> Many thanks
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Nick

> Community Media Association - http://www.commedia.org.uk
> Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5
> Canstream Internet Radio: http://www.canstream.co.uk/

please reply to
murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Project Director
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited
Company - SC332413