[cma-l] Call for Community media responses!

Shane Carey shane at eclectic-productions.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 10:34:58 GMT 2011

Hi everyone,

I sent this around the other day, asking for responses about how people
are working with the ONS. If you have a minute, can you send me a couple
of lines about how its going with the ONS/ Census campaign - even if
you're not doing anything with it?

Best,

Shane

Reprezent FM

On Thu 1:46 PM , "Shane Carey" shane at eclectic-productions.co.uk sent:

Dear all,

I really got the bit between my teeth on this one. After sending an
email directly to the Director-General of the ONS (the one below who
suggested to the House that they are considering using Community Media)
- I was called from one of their Head Office representatives.

When I questioned him (to start with) he said they weren't using radio
at all, and had a restricted media budget. When pushed, he said they
would support community media by sending ONS representatives to
community media to promote the Census. I said the problem isn't with
guests for content, more the assumption that we'll give them the
airtime, staff resources etc for free - so essentially we have to pay
for promoting their campaign.

I referred him back to the letter (below) from his Director-General, and
he said 'oh, yes, we are doing TV and Radio'. He also said that the
media strategy was only finalised a few days ago. I asked (as many of us
seem to have experienced the same responses) why ONS Census area
managers have been saying since December that the media budget had
already been committed and there was no money left, if it was only
recently finalised. Also, why was their DG saying they were considering
using Community Media without consulting the sector, then finalizing a
media strategy (primarily aimed at the 'easy to count')?

The reason I've pushed on with this is that I think this kind of
thinking is detrimental to our sector, and has been allowed to continue
for so long. It needs to be challenged publicly, and followed up with
publicity to show our unique effectiveness with our target audiences.

I've asked our MP to table a follow up question in the House, hopefully
that may raise some awareness. I also really think this is the kind of
thing the CMA should be doing!

Best, Shane

p.s. After my last email, I had a number of responses from a number of
stations saying they'd had similar experiences, but none that said they
were actively working on the campaigns. Part of the Census HO reps
argument was that a number of Community media orgs have reacted
positively to the approach. Is this true? Can you let me know if this is
the case with you?