[cma-l] Ofcom breaches - lessons for all stations

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 18:04:31 BST 2011

I am sorry to see any station get breached for not submitting KC or finance
report, and I feel for any station that had troubles, and glad your getting
it sorted with Ofcom.

However when stations apply for a license, and agree their
key commitments that includes a commitment to full the rules and regulations
of which filling these documents falls under. The reports are worthwhile as
they are the only was at present that stations
can demonstrate their fulfilment of the KC, and remember the KC and social
gain are the only things that define us as community stations.

I would welcome the discussion on other practical and realistic ways that
stations can evidence and report back on the fulfilment of their KC's?

My advice is to track data as you go, maybe every month or quarter you draw
down the numbers and evidence for the KC, and as far as I know the finance
report can be drawn down from your organisations annual return.

This is a one size fits all, because we all have to evidence our KC, it
could be a lot worse, Ofcom could ask for more validated document or
externally audited data (in terms of live hours, speech / music ratio,
training numbers etc). At present they take all that on face value from
community stations and trust them all in their reports.

Just my thoughts

Martin