[cma-l] Ofcom breaches - lessons for all stations

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:33:27 BST 2011

It's a good point Martin - but it all comes down to the Ofcom unofficial "mission statement" - "We're a Regulator - not a Provider"
Ofcom actually can have no interest in how well or otherwise a licensed broadcaster runs its business - only whether it adheres to conventional business practices and the provisions of the Acts and Regulations.
Hence if the Business Plan and all the other details in an Application appear to be in order, Ofcom has no further control nor influence over the Licensee unless it is made aware of a transgression.
It would seem to be obvious that Ofcom and indeed HMG as a whole should be seen to be supportive of the Sector, but too often hands appear to be tied and eyes and ears closed.
We just have to shout louder and longer.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK