[cma-l] BBC Radio 5Live wants you to do phone ins for them - We're All in This Together

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 11:18:55 BST 2011

Dear all

Please see below a request from 5 Live to ask you if you would be interetsed
in running a phone in for their new Sunday morning show starting 9 May.  If
you are interested in running one on any of the topics below please get back
to us as soon as possible, or email Jo Meek and copy us in

Thanks

Jaqui

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for taking the time to speak to me just now.
Just to follow up on our chat - as you know the 9 week show we are producing
is called ‘We’re All In This Together’.  The tone of the show is serious
journalism - each week looking at a different theme such as healthcare
reform and jobs and the economy - but with a lighter, humourous twist of
reality, through pre-recorded material that’s about issues and themes
directly relevant to the current state of our nation, and live guests to
debate these issues.

Our 9 ‘We’re All in This Together’ topics are:

 Democratic Voice - do we have one in this country? Is it through protest?

 Health

 Police and crime

 Job cuts and unemployment

 Defence

 Immigration

 Education

 Transport

 Money and Banking

*The Overview:*
In the interests of cuts and austerity measures, 5 live’s We’re All In This
Together is now outsourcing the show’s phone-in.  It means we don’t have to
outlay for phone lines, operators or headsets and is all round a good
efficiency saving for the licence fee payers.  (Quick reality check: we do
have those things already, we just believe this is a fun and revelatory way
of having a pre-recorded phone-in, a ‘vox populi’ with a difference and with
very different voices / opinions.  Each week, a community station runs a
phone-in on the topic.  We then distill the on-air calls in a chart style
rundown of ‘most insightful caller’, ‘biggest rant’ and ‘most off topic
comment’.  It’s actually a way of hearing the opinions that otherwise
wouldn’t be aired on national radio and a way of reflecting the diversity of
voices via radio stations across the UK.

*In terms of how we'd like to** run the phone as a pre-rec tape and script
into like thi*s:

We knew that the public felt strongly about this.  We knew it would make a
great phone in for you this morning.  We also knew that in our busy
schedule, we wouldn’t have time to get you all on air with your views on
lying politicians.  That could have taken most of the day.  So in the spirit
of the times, we contracted our phone-in out on a cost-effective basis.  It
was done by X RADIO STATION in X TOWN.

Here’s how they set it up.

TAPE OF HOST SETTING UP THE QUESTION:

Here’s the best caller

TAPE

Here’s the angriest caller

TAPE

And here’s the most irrelevant caller

Hope this makes sense - please let me know your thoughts and if we can work
with several community stations on these that would be great.

I know time is a little against us - but we'd need to hear back from the
stations who are interested

All the best,

Jo

  Jo Meek