[cma-l] National Advertising

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 19:09:43 BST 2011

Clive a couldnt agree more, only together can community stations get the big
national campaigns (and maybe even lobby for more council and coi money)
almost a RAB equiv for community stations..

I ran a trial project with student stations on the same concept, that as a
collective group they can get better deals and access to different
advertiers.. It worked in the whole and learnt alot about the process and
concept. I was considering moving the project into community radio
advertising, if there was will and desire from community stations.

Things that need to consider is that you need a critical mass of stations
for it to be effective.. and you might struggle with a chicken and egg
situation (advertisers wont buy until you have the stations, and stations
may not join unless they can get the adverts)..

Also to make it easier to sell (and for advertisers and agencies to buy
into) you need a generic type advertising package and concept.. covering..

cost per spot (now this can vary by tsa / station / audience size but
not disproportional)
pattern, length of ads (30sec spot, once per hour, for 6 times a day for
example)
consistent audience data.. (targeted population, demographic, listener
numbers where we have it)

Ironically due to a change in my situation I might be able to move this
project on.. if anyone is interested please let me know.. we could just
start the ball rolling and see how we get, or run a trial project in a
region or area.

Martin