[cma-l] National recognition for Long Stratton radio station

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Fri Sep 24 13:33:30 BST 2010

Congratulations to all at SNYA Long Stratton - great to see young people in
the driving seat and making things happen so brilliantly!

Can CMA council come and see your station sometime?

Best wishes

Phil

Phil Shepherd
Chair of Council
Community Media Association
c/o Engine Room
52 High Street
Bridgwater
Somerset TA6 3BL

philshep.wordpress.com

On 24/09/2010 11:34, "CMA-L" <cma-l at commedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Source: http://bit.ly/9KMYGD

A teenage-run radio station in south Norfolk is
> celebrating after
being shortlisted for a national award.

SNYA Radio, which
> started broadcasting live from its studio in Long
Stratton last year, has been
> announced as a finalist in the Arts and
Cultural Award category of the
> Children and Young People Now Awards
2010.

The youth radio station project
> began in November 2008 with the first
music track being broadcast one year
> later by station manager Josh
Worley.

Since then SNYA radio has travelled
> many miles across Norfolk, from
King's Lynn to Thetford, working with girl
> groups, youth clubs, young
people in care, young carers and schools.

The
> initiative brings together a rurally isolated community by working
with a
> group of 64 young people and has helped raise in excess of
£10,000 for the
> Teenage Cancer Trust and other charitable events.

SNYA Radio also works in
> partnership with Norfolk County Council,
South Norfolk Council, Norfolk
> Police, South Norfolk Alliance, City
College and the Norwich Theatre
> Royal.

Stephen Thomas, SNYA radio coordinator, said: ³We have won
> several
local and regional awards since we started the project but
> being
shortlisted for the Children and Young People Now Award's is the
> first
national recognition we have received.²

³This is fantastic morale boost
> for the young people who all work so
hard to bring their listeners quality
> radio programmes. However, the
immediate challenge is to find enough money to
> take the young people
to London to collect the award should we be successful
> in this
category.²

The awards will be presented in London on November
> 18.

Jenny Wilby, young people's champion at South Norfolk Council said:
³This
> is another extraordinary milestone for young people in South
Norfolk and we
> are proud to have been able to play our part by finding
a broadcast base for
> this station. We wish them success and the
national recognition they
> deserve.²

To find out more about SNYA Radio, visit
> http://www.snyaradio.co.uk

Source: http://bit.ly/9KMYGD

\\

Community Media