[cma-l] BiS and DWP surveys on skills, volunteering etc

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 11:05:28 BST 2010

Dear all

Below an opportunity to give your views on plans re skills and relieving
unemployment - worth putting something in for the community media sector
either directly or to Vinspired!

Best wishes

Jaqui

--
Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association

*
*

*
*

*Subject Header: HAVE YOUR SAY ON THE GOVERNMENT’S PLANS FOR SKILLS AND
RELIEVING UNEMPLOYMENT*

* *

Here are a couple of opportunities to have your voice heard by the
Government on how volunteering contributes to their skills and employment
agendas.  Do contribute and make sure that the cares and interests of your
organisation and your young people are represented in the consultations:

*1.    **DEPARTMENT FOR BUSINESS INNOVATION AND SKILLS (BIS) - THE FUTURE
DIRECTION OF SKILLS POLICY*

* *

BIS is inviting views on the future direction of their skills policy. The
consultation document makes little mention of volunteering and its
contribution to skills development. We will be using evidence we have
gathered at *v *to highlight the value of volunteering in developing young
people’s skills and preparing them for apprenticeships, employment, training
and education. Please use your experience, knowledge and evidence to make a
similar case. The consultation questions you may particularly wish to
respond to are:

Q1. We welcome views on [the principles in the consultation document] and
whether there are others we should consider

Q5. We welcome views on how best to support people who might in time benefit
from an Apprenticeship but who do not currently have the skills to begin
one.

Q27. How could we encourage the development of productive partnerships with
third sector organisations?

Q29. How could adult and community learning be reinvigorated? We especially
welcome ideas for how businesses and others could be encouraged to engage in
supporting local community learning to help create local ownership and
momentum.

Read the short summary consultation document and respond here:
http://interactive.bis.gov.uk/comment/skills/ The deadline for
*

* *

*2.    **DEPARTMENT FOR WORK AND PENSIONS (DWP) – WORK PROGRAMME *

DWP is seeking views from organisations which represent their customers to
help them develop the Work Programme – the integrated welfare-to-work
programme for unemployed people. We are aware that a number of organisations
running full-time volunteering opportunities have problems negotiating the
benefits system for young people that wish to take up full-time
volunteering. The consultation theme ‘Giving providers freedom to
personalise support’ provides an opportunity  for you to use your experience
of to make the case for volunteering and full-time volunteering being an
integral option for personalized support through the Work Programme. This
would help to ensure that young people  develop the skills and experience to
gain sustainable employment through volunteering *without fear of losing
their benefits*.

More information and how to respond is here:
http://interactive.dwp.gov.uk/the-work-programme-discussion-forum The
deadline for responses is *Friday 8 October*.

If you have any other comments or ideas unrelated to the themes email:
theworkprogramme.external at dwp.gsi.gov.uk<THEWORKPROGRAMME.EXTERNAL at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK>

If you would like support in sharing your views or comments with government
on their spending plans, or have any other questions about this email,
please get in touch with Araba Webber:   araba.webber at vinspired.com

Best Wishes

Ian Beason

Programme Manager