[cma-l] DAB "Switchover"

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 09:40:49 BST 2010

The important thing that we all seen to forget is that any form of broadcasting - in its widest sense - has to be delivered by one of two routes.

Either by a solid copper connection such as a telephone line for a static consumer or by RF transmission if the consumer is likely to be on the move - or simply does not have landline access.
Doing it directly by a broadcaster-owned transmitter and a personal radio/video receiver is the traditional and simplest route.

Whether it's analogue and instant or digital with a delay and lower spectral occupancy is a matter of choice.

Any other route still requires RF radiation and reception, but also the potential difficulty of going through other peoples' systems that the broadcaster doesn't control.

Internet is very attractive, yes, but it still has to be delivered by radio if you're not sitting at your PC.

Ian Hickling

Partner

transplan UK