[cma-l] DAB Switchover

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:20:40 BST 2010

Too simplistic.

I woud like to see some solid justfication for this statement which looks on the surface to be no more than a convenient expression of an opinion.

"The majority of listeners" may eventually migrate to "digital" - whatever that means within the seven entirely mutually incompatible formats that we currently have available in the UK - but with the current transmission network  and administrative structures in place that provide the DAB service, it looks very unlikely at the moment in terms of domestic radio.

Community Radio has a strong presence and a confirmed future on FM and in some cases on MW.

We are still using this inaccurate over-emotive term "switchover" - and we shouldn't.

It came from the process of terrestrial TV switchover to digital, which is an entirely different ball game.

It is not going to happen with AM and FM radio.

Migration - yes - gradually and eventually for major services.

Switching completely "over" - no.

Ian Hickling

Partner

transplan UK