[cma-l] DAB Switchover

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Mon Sep 13 17:43:36 BST 2010

At times Paul Goddard can come across like a lone Don Quixote figure tilting at the DAB windmill (and I mean that in the nicest way possible!).  The DAB lobby tend not to engage with him, perhaps hoping that by ignoring him everyone else will as well. However, it is worth noting that his writing is nearly always backed up with detailed technical analysis.

His latest blog, guaranteed to irritate the DAB lobby, starts as follows:-

'I am often asked why I believe that digital radio switchover will never happen in the UK. My answer is always this - the available statistics and data on consumer take-up of DAB radio fail to demonstrate that it will grow sufficiently to become the mass medium for radio broadcasting. I can see nothing in more than a decade of figures to offer an inkling that DAB radio will ever become anything more than a minority interest, compared to FM/AM'

I'll leave you to read the rest at :-

http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/

Regards

Richard

Business in the Community

Registered Office 137 Shepherdess Walk, London N1 7RQ

Registered Charity No 297716

Company Limited by Guarantee Registered in England and Wales No 1619253

http://www.bitc.org.uk/fulldisclaimer