[cma-l] "How community radio changed my life"

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 13:03:42 BST 2010

Source: http://kimjtownsend.com/2010/09/how-community-radio-changed-my-life/

Author: Kim Townsend

I’m from a small town in rural north Shropshire called Whitchurch.
Whenever I tell people in London that they say “ooh its lovely there
isn’t it?” and I try to resist the urge to say “no, not really!”.
Don’t get me wrong, there are beautiful parts of Shropshire, and I do
have a fierce loyalty to my home town, but I can’t deny that
Whitchurch has suffered its fair share of rural deprivation.

I remember as a teenager growing up in the town and feeling like we
were the laughing stock of the area. Our mayor had recently hit the
headlines because he had got drunk one night and had been caught
urinating on the town’s war memorial; the only school in our town (the
school I went to) was classed as “unsatisfactory” by Ofsted and seemed
to churn out a worrying amount of unmotivated, uninspired young people
who would hang around on street corners binge drinking; due to funding
cuts our fire station was under threat, then our hospital, and then
our magistrates court – it seemed like if the government had their way
there would be nothing left. And if you told anyone locally that you
were from Whitchurch you would get a knowing look as if to say “that’s
a shame”!

The knock-on effect of all this was that the morale of local people
was incredibly low. They would just moan the whole time about how
Whitchurch was so rubbish and how they wanted to get out. It wasn’t
the most inspiring place to grow up!

Then when I was about 14 some mobile DJs from the area decided that it
would be a good idea to set up a community radio station – Whitchurch
FM – that would broadcast for a couple of weeks once a year. It was
the first initiative I’d heard about in a long time that was trying to
do something positive in the town. Anyone who was interested could
have their own show, they promoted local businesses and opportunities,
and questioned local councillors. It was great to listen to people
talking positively about Whitchurch on the radio after we had had so
much bad press of late.

I got involved in answering phones, making tea, and even doing the odd
bit on air. I loved every minute of it and after a couple of years
became responsible for the local news bulletins and even got to
interview local decision makers myself. I’d like to say it was the
education I got at school that shaped my future, but it really wasn’t.
This radio project, that only happened once a year, and broadcast from
a tiny room on a tiny budget, had a huge impact on my life.

I decided that radio was what I wanted to do and spent the next five
years doing work experience at local radio stations and enrolling in a
Broadcast Journalism course at University. Since then I’ve worked for
the BBC as a Broadcast Journalist and have won Sony Radio Awards for a
community radio project I worked on with prisoners at Brixton Prison
in London.

I guess I’ve come a long way since I was making tea for Whitchurch FM
DJs as a teenager, but when I look back none of it would have been
possible if it hadn’t been for my local community radio station
inspiring me when I needed it the most.

Source: http://kimjtownsend.com/2010/09/how-community-radio-changed-my-life/

\\

http://photo365.commedia.org.uk