[cma-l] Community Radio Music Royalties

Michael Fryer michael_fryer at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:05:03 BST 2010

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I’ve been quiet for a while – been in hospital for
emergency major surgery.  I’m out now and
on the road to recovery.  Unfortunately,
Val has now to go into hospital for similar surgery!  I’ll have to change my role from patient to
nurse!

PRS/PPL Fees

A reduced community radio licence fee for community radio
stations is a MUST – it’s only FAIR and JUST in view of the content of most
community radio stations.  I hope that
CMA is pursuing this point very vigorously in their negotiations with the
licensing authorities on behalf of members.

Community Radio Fund

The trouble with the community radio fund is that it pays
out to the applicants who can write the best applications and not necessarily
to the ones who are delivering the best community radio content.

ONE PER CENT for COMMUNITY MEDIA

I’m still firmly in favour of asking for ONE PER CENT of the
licence fee (or an equivalent amount) to fund community media.  For the last few years I have been promoting
this idea – it’s just a shame that it wasn’t used pre-election to make both
Parliamentarians and the electorate aware of community media.  The fact is ONE PER CENT sounds reasonable
for local community media and is easy to promote with the news media.

Also, Jeremy Hunt, the Minister, is well aware of the ONE
PER CENT idea as I discussed it with him at a meeting at Bradford
last year.  To have the matter raised
pre-election would have jogged his memory and may have helped our industry to
get some useful funding.  A golden
promotional opportunity lost!

Don’t waste any more time arguing with each other.  We should all start pulling together to
achieve a reasonable funding settlement.
If we could get up to the French level of funding, everyone could then
concentrate on delivering good community media.

Onwards and upwards,

Regards,

Michael Fryer