[cma-l] FD in Community Radio

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 13:20:01 BST 2010

I contribute from time to time wearing different hats. Sometimes as a
broadcaster, sometimes as a successful licence applicant and sometimes
as an academic. Today, my hat is a little more promotional but
hopefully helpful .

I run the Foundation Degree in Community Radio here at Sunderland and
I've just been reminded that not everyone who should know about it,
does know about it. So, here I am. (ta da!)

Our course is unique it's nature, offering the chance to study radio
techniques in great studios at one the best places in the Uk to study
radio. But we also have our own community station on site, which
offers a guaranteed work placement. 107 Spark FM has just celebrated
it's first birthday and is slowly gaining a solid reputation for
making great radio. There are chances to study community media, live
radio, drama, documentary, audio production and commercial production.
As well as key legal and professional skills.

The course lasts 2 years full time, or 4 years part-time, with up to a
third of the time spent on placement in community radio.

If you have anyone looking to go to university next year or is
generally interested in taking their studies in radio further, then
please do share my details with them. I am more than happy to talk to
anyone or show them round our studios here in Sunderland. If we can
play a small role in building the skills of our sector, then I'll be
very indeed.

Thanks
(plug over)

Richard

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
www.twitter.com/sunderlandradio
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Blog:myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/radio/