[cma-l] Community Radio Royalties

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 12:27:09 BST 2010

wow. There's a lot to take in here.

I agree that the system of music royalties in the UK is a mess. The
position in the US is different, it assumes that if a record in played
on the radio people will buy it. The perception here in the UK is
contrary, it assumes if radio plays a song we won't buy it. It's not
helped by the fact that they've still not sorted out how much we - as
a sector - should be paying. Clearly, it can't be free but equally
sharing a ratecard with commercial radio is patently wrong.

Record companies will supply community radio, they supply us very well
and we rarely buy any music. The additional tracks we add, we've
bought ourselves and ripped into the playout system. Of course, what
record companies want are playlists and since that something that
isn't always in our culture then it's not in their interests to send
out anything. Of course, if you play local unsigned acts then this is
less of an issue - take a look at what Amazing Radio are doing and
you'll see

Rich

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
www.twitter.com/sunderlandradio
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Tags: www.delicious.com/richardberry
Blog:myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/radio/