[cma-l] CMA Council latest

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Tue Oct 26 10:38:58 BST 2010

Dear Members and Friends

Please forgive us if we are sometimes not keeping you as up to date as
we would ideally intend, but please do not interpret relative silence
as inaction.

We are acutely aware of the challenges facing the sector, hearing the
needs of members, taking the best advice available and steering the
course we judge to be in the best interest of the majority.  Our
concerns are focused on

(1) the best tactics to try and preserve and grow the CRF - we have
judged to date that careful lobbying is the safest option in this
treachorous climate but have debated - and continue to debate - long
and hard the value or otherwise of more overt campaigning. The
meetings referred to below show some if our recent activity in this
respect.

(2) making sure the key people of influence are getting our messages -
also see below

(3) the futureTV debate with BBC - this decision to place the
responsibility for funding local tv with the BBC was not entirely
unexpected and is not certainly not without opportunity for us
either.  Again we need to play this one carefully and without
prejudice. We are well aware that traditional broadcasters can be
difficult bedfellows for us but there is much to play for here, not
just to the benefit of TV.

I can understand the frustration of people like Mark Polden but what
he may not realise is that in the last few weeks we have met with
EdVaizey, Minister at the DCMS, represented the sector at The Annual
Radio Academy Festival, just this week talked to radio industry
representatives in Port Talbot and met with PRS to ask them to try
review the fees they charge to community radio. And that's just in the
last couple of weeks.

The one thing we haven't done is bombard you with this information but
rest assured,politically and otherwise, we are working  hard for the
sector!

In solidarity!

Phil Shepherd
Chair of Council