[cma-l] DCMS Written answers and statements, 19 October 2010 - Local Broadcasting: Radio

Office - ccr-fm office at ccr-fm.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 18:27:53 BST 2010

Steve and all.

An excellent e-mail from yet another great member of our brotherhood /
fraturnity

 things are difficult. Very difficult, and with the best
will in the world I bet you that 75% of our stations have now found
themselves out of the land of make believe and into the real world !

The real world being that you can only go to Joe Barrow the Builder, Fred
Sheen the Window cleaner & Harry Clog the Cobbler with tales of ‘’support
us, don’t we do a wonderful job in the community ?!    we work with children
with disabilities, children who have been excluded from full-time education,
ex offenders, elderly people, community groups, local not-for-profit
organisations etc etc       (which we do!)         for so long, and THEN MR
REALITY does kick in :_

We get the mr reality question

. ‘’yeh but, no but, yeh but

 HOW
MANY LISTENERS HAVE YOU GOT ?    AND WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT ?

When we all started it was most definitely Community 1st / Radio 2nd

we ALL endeavour to keep it like that

.. however in the current climate
and due to the restrictions already spoken about, some of the community
stuff may have to temporarily take the back seat ?

 or at least the
passenger seat?

Are we all experiencing this ??                 I know we are, apart from
those stations (mostly urban)    who seem to be able to attract pots of
money from Europe or National (God knows how??) (although I do have my
views)      and manage to nail about £60,000 thus far out of the Community
Radio Fund

. We’ve had £6,000 by the way which I believe is quite
correct, providing everyone else gets £6,000.

Let me simplify this.

1)       We ALL get the SAME

.. no matter what the amount

2)       This means we do not have to waste hours, days, months filling in
forms

3)       We don’t have to fill in any report forms either because we all use
the money to pay for our Ofcom licence, PRS / PPL / MCPS

.. surely if
there’s any left after that Ofcom or the DCMS wouldn’t expect us to fill to
a form in??
. We’d maybe only have enough for a couple of Ice cream cornets
anyway !

4)       No bureaucracy

..YIPPEEEEE

 and we can get on with what we
are supposed to be doing

 Community Radio

Sorry to say guys

.. yes, it is as simple as that, yes, it is a utopia,
and it is staring us in the face. If it was a dog it would have bitten us
and we can’t see the wood for the trees.

In Openshawe 3 years ago, and then again in Leicester 2 years ago I put
forward a serious suggestion. It was certainly serious for me and appeared
to be taken serious by a few others. Unfortunately nothing has been done
about it.

This was my suggestion. Let’s take about £55,000 of the fund and give it to
the CMA. This money be used to employ 2 National sales people whose sole
jobs are to searchout and meet NATIONAL conglomerates and to raise money for
the sector

.. ALL OF US

.

All those Companies that we see everyday advertising on the TV and
commercial radio

.. we would now be in a position to play em’ at their
own game and give em’ a run for their money, whilst still at the same time
plugging Joe / Fred / Harry etc

 SLA’s could also be sought
‘nationally’

Twiggy and M&S on ALL / EVERY Community station in the country

 that’s
one hell of an audience !

How many times have we all got in touch with our local Wykes, B&Q, M&S,
Tesco’s etc etc etc and been told ‘’you’ll have to speak to head office’’
you speak to head office who then send you from the regional office to the
national office

. It then falls over

 Why        ??
because we are small fry on our own,

 but together we are a beast !
in fact, the moment we move away from the local store into the regions, it
all comes apart at the seams because of all those things we keep banging on
about        <>    Restrictions

Each station may only receive about £400 per-campaign

.. but

. 200 Nationals would be easy to get between 2 sales people over a
12 month period

 for the community stations

. It would be    ‘’thank
you very much, muchas gracias, dankeshon, merci – er GAME OVER’’

For goodness sake guys

. Let’s wake up and smell the coffee !?
it can be done, we can be a brotherhood, a real community of community
stations and it would mean that we could get on with what we do best without
faffing around begging for scraps.

Come on Jaqui and Phil our great leaders

 let’s get cracking.

The only restrictions we need are sensible controls on our power output (on
an individual basis) and the fact that all the monies are invested back into
our projects (not-for-profit)

THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS -------- WE JUST SEEM HELL BENT ON CREATING THEM.

Thanks for reading my long e-mail again

.. I’m off to have a shave, I’ve
grown a beard in the time it’s taken me to write it !

Regards

Nick

  _____