[cma-l] DCMS Written answers and statements, 19 October 2010 - Local Broadcasting: Radio

trevor at felixstoweradio.co.uk trevor at felixstoweradio.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 22:14:14 BST 2010

Nick

I cannot argue with your proposition. It's easy to implement and fair.

 Rural stations do not get any substantive support, that I really do know.

£500K is peanuts - but we must ask ourselves why we are so disregarded. Every presentation about UK broadcasting fails to recognise community media. Given that we have 600 members, 235 with FM licences, all involved with broadcasting then we are doing something wrong. We have power, we have influence, we also have an attitude of subservience, like poor peasants pulling at our forelocks, cap in hand, grateful for the scraps thrown at us by our masters.

Someone amongst us must be capable of producing a 10 minute audio/video that we can all broadcast, and keep broadcasting (with variations) until all our listeners understand how we are treated.

We don't have to argue amongst ourselves - we need to motivate our audience to apply pressure upon the government. We do that by broadcasting. Sending pleading emails or letters to MPs do nothing.

Please agree with me. I'd do it myself but I'm trying to raise funds to keep our little station going, and as we are all volunteers life ain't easy.

Whatever, let's keep smiling and making sure we give our audiences what they want. We need thm all to remain on our side.

Trevor Lockwood
Felixstowe Radio