[cma-l] Community Radio 50% Rules

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Mon Oct 11 11:40:58 BST 2010

I think it would be worth seeing if this is really a practical problem for many CR stations before making this a priority issue for the CMA.

How many stations really raise so much advertising or commercial sponsorship on air that it is a real problem? The ability to off set the commercial revenue against volunteer time surely means this is only a problem for a few stations unless I am completely out of touch.

We operate in a wealthy and dynamic business area and - with some considerable effort - can get advertising and some sponsorship from local businesses. We also get some grants which are tied to particular projects and donations and membership fees. The advertising & sponsorship revenue is the major source of "free" money to pay our bills. I can envisage us getting to a point where it could become 50% or even more of our "real" money but the volunteer hours total when monetised using OFCOM's formulae means it ends up as being a single figure percentage of our total revenue for OFCOM purposes.

The logic of the 50% rule was to prevent CR stations becoming totally commercial and being funded solely by advertising and commercial sponsorship. A station with a CR licence is effectively protected from being taken over by a commercial rival (and being renamed Heart or Capital!). A CR station solely funded by commercial revenues would be in danger of (a) being challenged as to whether it really is a community station and (b) being changed to a commercial licence and therefore becoming vulnerable to a take over (although I don't know of any precedent for this - or even whether OFCOM has the power to do this- but they could certainly advertise a commercial licence for exactly the same area).

Clive Glover

Radio Verulam, St Albans