[cma-l] Small stations bring big benefits for local communities

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:23:18 GMT 2010

no sooner than I send a buzzy response to the report than it's pointed out
to me that the numbers dont make for good reading - falling income, big
spread between the thriving and the not-so-thriving etc...

so if I may qualify my previous ebullience...

It's tough out there and its going to get tougher - all the more reason to
celebrate our achievements, work together and prove our worth...

[phew - feel better for that]

bests

Phil

On 18 November 2010 10:12, CMA-L <cma-l at commedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Source:
> http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/11/18/small-stations-bring-big-benefits-for-local-communities/
>
> Around 11 million people are now able to tune into community radio
> stations across the UK. This figure is up 17% year-on-year and an
> increase of more than a third (36%) since 2008, according to a new
> report by Ofcom.
>
> The Community Radio Annual Report provides a snapshot of community
> radio in the UK, which reveals a flourishing sector. Since the first
> station went live five years ago, a new community radio station has
> launched, on average, every 10 days. Today, a record 181 community
> stations are broadcasting and another 30 are preparing to take to the
> airwaves.
>
> Community radio stations typically cover a small geographical area
> with a coverage radius of up to 5km and are run on a not-for-profit
> basis. They serve a wide range of communities, targeting diverse
> audiences from rural to inner city areas with content ranging from
> community news and information to religious issues to experimental
> music and RnB, for example.
>
> Ofcom Chief Executive, Ed Richards, said: “The Community Radio Annual
> Report provides an encouraging picture of the state of community radio
> in the UK. In general, it’s been a challenging few years for the radio
> sector. Community radio has shared these challenges. Despite this, it
> continues to deliver local content and other community benefits. It is
> a genuine success story, and a great credit to the thousands of
> volunteers and enthusiasts that make it happen.”
> 2 million hours of volunteering
>
> All stations involve volunteers in various jobs, including as
> presenters. The average station reports the involvement of around 75
> volunteers over a year. Across the industry more than 40,000 volunteer
> hours are spent each week producing more than 15,000 hours of original
> radio output. Ofcom estimates that, with over 180 stations on air,
> volunteers currently contribute more than 2 million hours per year to
> community radio.
>
> Chris Jones from Harborough FM in Market Harborough said: “One of the
> most satisfying achievements is watching people who initially came to
> us with little or no broadcasting experience being transformed into
> very competent community radio broadcasters.”
> Diverse audiences
>
> A large number of community radio stations provide services for minority
> groups.
>
> For example, Diverse FM in Luton broadcasts in community languages
> such as Bengali, Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu, Pahari, Polish, Arabic,
> Swahili and Patwa.
>
> Ashuk Ahmed at Diverse FM said: “Communities are offered radio slots
> to broadcast dedicated programmes, enabling them to ‘have a voice’ by
> raising issues that are relevant to them and promote better
> understanding of each other’s culture, religion and issues … this has
> [...]

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net