[cma-l] Guardian on Somerset cuts

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Wed Nov 10 19:35:54 GMT 2010

The Guardian ran a piece on Somerset arts cuts yesterday ­ find it at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/nov/09/arts-cuts-somerset?showallcomm
ents=true#end-of-comments

There is a section at the end about Somerset Film which reads :

On the high street is  Somerset Film, whose offices ­ dubbed the Engine Room
­ house an  internet cafe and film production drop-in centre. ³The town
seems to  appreciate us,² says Phil Shepherd, with a smile. ³Our offices
haven¹t  been burned out yet.² It stands to lose £11,500, which would put a
severe strain on what it offers. Those who use its three weekly drop-in
sessions and film-making classes range from teenagers to the retired, as
well as people with learning difficulties. One young company, Film  Tank,
started out here; they are showing a 10-minute film about  Bridgwater¹s
annual carnival on BBC1 later that evening. Another user  with learning
difficulties has started shooting his first short film.

³The  value of a place like this,² says Shepherd, ³is that it gives people a
sense of identity ­ people who are isolated and disenfranchised because
they live in a rural county, with no big cities or university towns. We
have people who come in here, learn how to make films, and change their
lives. That¹s why this cut, if it goes ahead, would be such a body  blow.²

I have posted this comment beneath the article on the Guardian website :

ŒI just want to make it clear that the remark ³Our  offices haven¹t been
burned out yet.²  was made in the context of a wider description of
Bridgwater as a Œtown with spirit, a town with  heart where we have been
glad to create a base¹.  The town centre  suffers as many do from late night
vandalism and windows getting broken  (if not offices being burnt out!) are
a regular event, although in the  last few years at least our windows have
remained intact, hence my  comment.  It reads a bit like I don¹t respect the
people around us and  that¹s not how it is!  Just for the avoidance of any
doubtŠ..¹