[cma-l] Signal Strength

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 17:11:21 BST 2010

Hi Alan

Signal strength is a difficult thing to determine and is not of course directly related to propagated ERP.

CR stations have to put up with lower signal strengths than commercial broadcasters and generally thst isn't a problem.

It would be very difficult to plan a level of ERP that a CR would have to have for instance 64dbuV/m throughout its desired coverage area and there are many constraints involved which anyone who has had to wait the usual 4 months to get a frequency cleared and has asked why will know.

CRs don't get a blanket 25W - many have more and some have a great deal more, as looking them up on Ofcom's TX Parameters list will reveal.

The process is "tell us what area you wish to cover and how you propose doing it and if we license you we'll do our best to give you the power you need".

Ian Hickling

Partner

transplan UK