[cma-l] Signal Strength

Alan Coote alan.coote at btinternet.com
Fri May 21 14:25:00 BST 2010

Hi Ian,

I agree that 75dBuV/m is more than enough for modern receivers, after all
the standards were drawn up in the 60s. Also 66dBuV/m is a good working
signal strength however many CRs (including mine) do not achieve that.

My Point is that it is incorrect to give blanket ERP of 25W is to each CR.
Who is to say that in an extreme case 570W isn't right for a station with
challenging a environment.

The analogy is, if you're trying to hear a conversation with other people
shouting in the room, then everyone must shout to be heard. The BBC and
early Commercial stations were given very generous TX power and channel
spacing. Hence it is very difficult for the whispers of CR to be heard in
crowd.

It is logical therefore to increase CR TX allowances to compensate. A
downside may be some adjacent channel interference in marginal areas, but
that is no worst than now and allows better penetration in licensed coverage
areas.

Alan