[cma-l] Frustrated campaigning

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Sun May 16 11:02:13 BST 2010

Whilst regional and local strategy is important, the CMA is a UK
organisation and is it not the strategic development between
government and organisations nationally which has stalled and caused
so much frustration?

Would it not be better for us all to understand why that is and if
anything could be done better ..... before going off in other
directions which may lead us up blind alleys?

For example, how do regional strategies key into the big picture if
the big picture is not understood or is failing?

All you would be doing in that scenario is adding another layer of
frustration as the centre fails to deliver with far more chance that
the sector will fracture?

I wonder if it would not be better to have communities of interest
rather than a regional structure which given the nature of the sector
will surely be very uneven across the country.

Groupings which take up issues important for the whole UK sector and
put their energies into that?

On 15 May 2010, at 09:51, Phil Shep wrote:

>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> There has long been a need for more joined up regional working
>>> within CMA and this fact has not been lost on staff and council.
>>> Our great frustration in recent years has been a lack of capacity
>>> to do more to make this happen on the ground. Jaqui and the team
>>> go well beyond the call of duty on a daily basis to hold the line
>>> for the sector, to make sure we are represented at the key
>>> conversations, to provide the tech and information  support which
>>> is so useful to us all. But holding the line is necessarily where
>>> we have been at for quite a while and as a sector we need to look
>>> at how we can work more effectively together to addresss this -
>>> and for me the key is in regional working.
>>>
>>> Again, capacity rears its head - yes we're all busy - but also at
>>> times we are short-sighted when we build alliances with others and
>>> fail to key in our collective strength to the bigger picture .
>>>
>>> As has been observed, there is too often a disconnect between the
>>> passionate ideas expressed and the ability of the tiny over-
>>> stretched core to follow up the ideas - the ones couched in
>>> reality at least!  If we were meeting regularly at a regional
>>> level we could do much more to mobilise grass roots campaigning.
>>>
>>> Just here in Somerset we have at least six CR stations and other
>>> CM projects within a fifty mile radius and while there is at times
>>> I know, good and positive communication flowing between projects
>>> this rarely translates into joined up campaigns which key into the
>>> bigger picture.  Let's really tackle this one at the AGM this year
>>> - it's overdue and would I think obviate some of the frustrations
>>> expressed recently on this list.  I've got a year left at most as
>>> Chair and would like to to do as much as possible in that time to
>>> put the beginnings of a working regional structure in place.   Let
>>> me know what you think.
>>>
>>> And yes to echo others, if you've got time and energy to
>>> give,please do consider standing for council.  We need all the
>>> expertise and energy we can muster to help take us all forward.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>
>>> Phil
>>> Chair of Council

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast
BT1 2FF

Tel: 028 9024 5495 ext 207
Fax: 028 9032 6608

NvTv
Belfast Community Television
Free-to-Air on Channel 62/Freq:799.276MHz
Live on line: www.nvtv.co.uk

www.northernvisions.org