[cma-l] Financial Secretary To Treasury Steven Timms MP talks about Community Radio Fund

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 14:43:05 GMT 2010

Hi All,

Today the Minister in charge of Digital Britain Stephen Tymms MP (who is
also the Financial Secretary to the Treasury) was in Salford to talk about
MediaCity and next weeks budget.

We pointed out that Community Radio Fund is currently less than Chris
Moyles' salary and asked him if there is likely to be anymore money for the
community radio fund and he said:

Steven  Timms: I think one of the points your making which I underline, is
community radio is great value for money, because as you say it’s a pretty
modest fund that the government has provided  on the basis of that we’ve
seen this  pretty extraordinary flowering of a whole new radio sector, and I
hope that will  go on from strength to strength in the future, I know the
fund is under pressure  because there are lots more activities that could be
funded, it’s a limited sum  at the moment. Of course it was never the idea
that community radio would be  wholey funded by the government, the idea is
that other funding would be  provided and I know the department for culture
media and sport are working with  the sector trying to identify other sources
so that we can see further  developments. But we will carry out a spending
review later on this year and  that’s when decisions about exactly how much
money will allocated to the various  parts of government activities so the
future for the fund and how money will be  in it and the future will be decided
then.
ENDS

I hope this is useful information. We are expecting lots of politicians in
Salford over the next few months as they stand outside the MediaCityUK
buildings... and we'll keep flying the flag for a realistic community radio
fund!

Kindest  Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City  Radio

office 0161 793 2939
mobile 07772 355 852
: :::_  WWW.SALFORDCITYRADIO.ORG_ (http://www.salfordcityradio.org/)  ::: :
WINNERS -  Community Award - Salford Business Awards 2009