[cma-l] DCMS measures to 'boost local media'

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 23:15:48 BST 2010

At an Ofcom presentation to invited guests earlier this year on its plans to
pay for ITV news consortia, I got a sharp rebuke from the Ofcom speaker for
having the temerity to refer to its plan as a subsidy of ITV news
production. He insisted that it should not be called a subsidy, thoug he
didn;t really explain how it differed from a subsidy, and had earlier
described its objective as being 'to restore the profitability of ITV
licences'..

So naturally it caught my attention tonight to hear the Minister, Jeremy
Hunt, describe it as a subsidy for ITV news today when he was announcing the
scrapping of the reprehensible proposal.

I wonder if Ofcom will now maintain that the minister too is wrong to call
it a subsidy.

Either way, I'm glad some sense has prevailed on one matter at least, and
Ofcom should be ashamed of ever having been complicit in promoting it.

Alex
Two Lochs