[cma-l] watching and observing with interest

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 27 16:19:56 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Phil Shepherd <philip at thrivesomerset.org>

As Julian says there are lots of different models out there.

At Somerset Film we have always set out to pay people wherever possible as a
contribution to developing a sustainable creative economy in our rural area.

Our starting point is a core local authority funding base of £25000 pa
(built up to that dizzy sum over fifteen years of work and likely to be 40%
less at best next year) the rest of our income being made up from what we we
earn from commissions, selling training,  renting kit and facilities and the
occasional benefit night.   We pay our current complement of six full time
people an average of about £20000 pa each,  plus some part timers at a lower
rate.  Our freelancers on projects earn between £125 and £200 pd depending
on experience.

I count as one of our successes the fact that people can earn a living from
what we do - and that a number of trainees have gone on to set up their own
businesses locally.

I'm not suggesting that we have a definitive model here - just referencing a
different approach with a different set of objectives - and pointing to
where revenue earning opportunities exist when we look at our operations as
creative businesses as well as vehicles for the social gain we wall want to
deliver

Phil
Somerset Film