[cma-l] watching and observing with interest

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Tue Jul 27 12:53:38 BST 2010

We setup with entirely voluntary effort, and operated like that for
the first six months of 2008.  Then we had a part-time manager
responsible for developing business income for a year, funded by the
CRF.  During that time and afterwards, all the admin and station
management continued to be done voluntarily.  So it can be done.

Our fixed costs are £12k (i.e. everything we need to spend to keep
running) - and over a third of that is rent.  Even though we're a
small rural station, we can cover most of the fixed cost from
sponsorship and donations.

However, not having a paid manager does put considerable reliance upon
voluntary input and that doesn't appeal to many people (they all want
to be presenters, not administrators).  That in turn meant there was a
risk of it all collapsing if key people left.  So since Feb I've been
contracted (for not much) for 1 day per week to do the general
management.

There are obviously lots of different ways of running a station, but
if its a broad community project with lots of volunteers, then it
needn't cost much.

Plus we use low energy lightbulbs - so the lights shine brightly at
10Radio on less than 40w!

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

JM tel: 01984 623 104
Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252