[cma-l] watching and observing with interest

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 26 14:14:57 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gary Jackson <gary.jackson at skyline.fm>

On 26/07/2010 11:58, Office - ccr-fm wrote:

> Get rid of the committees, get rid of the grants, get rid of the bureaucracy --------------
> all we need is :-        ONE PERSON with a calculator on admin’, writing out the
> cheques = EQUALLY DIVIDED BETWEEN ALL.

Ever since community radio started in it's small way I have sat back
and watched with an air of sad inevitability as the empire builders
have set to work.

World conferences, job adverts offering pay in excess of £20k - some
stations with a number of such positions, "companies" offering FM
stations (community stations) to publicly funded bodies like
universities, and of course the ever present Radio 1 clone stations.
This has now become an industry where the people least likely to be
paid are those presenting the shows, but with dozens of others making
their living off of their efforts.

Put community radio back where it should be - at the centre of the
community, in the hands of the community, and adequately funded to
ensure that can happen.

Gary