[cma-l] [comradio-l] Digital Radio Action Plan Reaction

Dylan Jones Dylan.Jones at gwent.pnn.police.uk
Mon Jul 12 08:17:57 BST 2010

Voice Radio is an online community radio station broadcasting in South
Wales.  We are going to be launching on DAB on the Newport/Cardiff
multiplex around late October.  This will be a an opportunity to see how
a community station can operate on DAB.  Part of the reason for choosing
this option was to take advantage of the opportunity afforded to us, but
also the length of time it was taking fora decision to be reached over
FM community licences and the lack of availablity on that frrequency.

We will be looking to make best use of this opportunity, and we would
welcome any inputs or observations from friends in the CMA.

Dylan

PC 843 Dylan Jones,
School Liaison Officer,
Enterprise House,
New Road,
Tir-y-birth,
Hengoed.
Tel: 01443 865516
Mob:07976 942658

>>> "Alan Coote" <alan.coote at btinternet.com> 7/10/2010 1:22 am >>>
I 100% agree that the CMA have missed a trick by not pushing for a plan
for
Community Stations to move to digital.

Regardless of Radio Centre and the commercial sector's keenness to move
digital. It's extremely naïve to think they will vacate FM while it is
still
viable. If they can justify spending £1Ms on DAB for just 10% of their
audience they will surely be extremely keen to keep FM going while
there is
anyone listening.

The BBC also have an obligation to be able to broadcast to a mass
audience
in times of national crisis. That means they won't be able to switch
off FM.

Therefore, as there won't be any significant freeing up of FM spectrum
for
new community stations any time soon, the best option for a stronger
community radio sector is for the CMA to propose how community
stations
should move to a digital platform.

Alan

Alan Coote