[cma-l] Mixed messages over DAB

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 08:21:20 BST 2010

It's getting more and more complicated - mostly because the people who are spouting in public either don't understand what's happening or are using inappropriate words because they seem to be fashionable.

I would summarise as follows:

National and Regional broadcasters want to move over to a digital radio broadcast format and would be content for their services on FM to cease once enough listeners have digital radio receivers.

However, the present DAB format is incompatible with the systems proposed by most other countries and existing DAB receivers won't be able to resolve broadcasts using other countries' formats.

The proposed new "multichip" receivers would be capable of decoding DAB and a range of other digital formats.

Motor manufacturers in particular are declining to equip new vehicles with DAB receivers and and are understandably reluctant to offer OE digital receivers until some form of standardisation evolves.

Set up and administered as it is, use of the existing DAB network is inappropriate and expensive for small broadcasters who are generally content to remain on FM.

There will eventually be a "digital switchover" of major services (implying cessation of their parallel FM broadcasting) once there is universal agreement as to what format will be used in the UK and other countries. This is unlikely to be achieved by 2015 with progress as seen at the moment.

There will not be a general "FM switchoff" (or "switching off the FM signal" as the BBC seems to like to put it) at all because there simply is no need for it.

Ian Hickling

Partner

transplan UK