[cma-l] Community Radio Order - Commons debate 12/01/10 4:30pm

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:53:53 GMT 2010

v good points there Yvonne

the greatest threat to commercial radio jobs are the big commercial radio
owners - they'd be shedding jobs regardless of our presence.  On the flip
side they also officially acknowledge our sector's role in bringing on loads
of new talent for them...  we're not a threat, we're their lifeblood....

And as for our value for money - spot on Yvonne!

bests

Phil

2010/1/12 <yvonne.williams at gatewayfm.com>

> Hi
> Just a quick observation on the proceedings in committee in the HoC.
> Mention
> was made of the £3.5 million pounds 'provided to Community Radio' by
> various
> government (and local government) departments. Would it not have been a
> rather more accurate view of the matter to acknowledge that some
> significant
> percentage of that figure comprises project tied monies and payments for
> activities not directly concerned with Community Radio such as provision of
> courses on various subjects?
>
> Indeed, the funding structure that requires CR to operate on a mixed
> funding
> basis with no more than 50% from any single source, almost guarantees that
> some is liable to be derived from sources associated with government,
> central or local. However, these are seldom hand outs: they are mpre often
> earnings arising from providing specific, measurable and quantifiable
> services to give the communities served the benefits of those services at
> remarkably low cost, for the CR sector is predominantly volunteer driven.
>
> It was suggested that small commercial stations are employers and that
> should they suffer at the hands of community stations, people are put out
> of
> work and onto the list of unemployed. It should be acknowledged that those
> same small commercial stations are disposable assets providing profits for
> their owners and that in difficult economic times they are liable to cut
> their costs in order to protect the bottom line.  CR stations rely on
> volunteers and provide valuable community service in helping engage with
> unemployed people in order to help them contribute their skills for the
> benefit of others and to learn new skills to enhance their future
> employment
> prospects.
> Yvonne Williams
> Gateway FM

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net