[cma-l] Business Rates For Community Stations

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 14:13:43 GMT 2010

Hi all

As far as we are aware, business rate relief for organisations that are
NOT registered charities but are not for profit is at the discretion of
each individual local authority, and they all do it differently!  If you
are a registered charity, then relief should be automatic.

It would be worth talking to a similar organisation in your local
authority to see if there is a precedent for rate relief for non
charitable not for profit organisations.  The fact that you are a
community radio station is not relevant here, it purely depends on your
legal status and how your local authority operates its discretionary policy.

Hope that helps

Jaqui

andrew.wass at talk21.com wrote:
> Hi Gary (and others)
> From memory, I believe there is a statutory reduction of 75% and a discretionary relief (dependent of course on your own local authority) of the final 25% this is for registered charities not sure if it applies to organisations for example with 'charitable aims' etc.
> Maybe someone else from the list can clarify this further, I hope this is of some use meanwhile.
>
> Best Wishes and good fortune!
> Andy Wass
> The Panjabi Centre/Desi Radio
>

> ________________________________

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

See our 2010 photo blog:

http://photo365.commedia.org.uk/

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities