[cma-l] FW: community radio workers threatened and killed

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Tue Jan 5 18:10:57 GMT 2010

Dear Al, Kate

Thank you for drawing attention to this.

AMARC's Latin America and Caribbean office issued
a news alert on this matter on 31 December at:
http://legislaciones.item.org.uy/index?q=node/1158

It is based on a report from Diario Co Latino, dated 28 December:
http://www.diariocolatino.com/es/20091228/nacionales/75137/?tpl=69

There is a rough translation below, plus some
guidance from Amnesty on action that can be taken
- letters to relevant authorities and their addresses. Please do act on this.

There will be a similar action alert distributed shortly from AMARC.

Regards

Steve

Diario Co Latino, 28 December 2009

Threats resurface against
journalists of Radio Victoria

Death threats against staff and journalists from
Radio Victoria have resurfaced. After the killing
of two environmentalists in the department of
Cabañas, a threatening letter arrived at the radio station.

The document, which was circulated to several
e-mails, reads: "Well, we sent two down the hole,
the question is who will be the third, perhaps
Father Quintanilla or someone from the radio,
it's not a bad idea to follow up with one of the
loud-mouths of Radio Victoria, we are not playing
and we showed we have good financing and
logistical capacity to drive out anybody, even if
we walk a battalion of policemen watching them
like dogs, we'll shoot when we want to, the
deaths will continue and no one will stop the
vengeance that has started, we prefer that the
third of the dead should be a presenter, or a
correspondent, or someone else from that damn
radio, the most likely target is a presenter,
beware that we are not playing, this is the new
wave of warnings after taking care of Ramiro*".

[*Ramiro Rivera, anti mining activist, murdered on 20 December 2009]

The death threats began days after the
journalists of Radio Victoria gave coverage to
the disappearance and death of Marcellus, who was
a recognized leader in the fight against mining
and played a leading role in the complaint
against election fraud that led to the suspension
of the municipal election in San Isidro, Cabañas, last January.

Attacks against Radio Victoria have been
persistent, and have led to breaks in
transmission when antenna cabling was destroyed.
It has not been ruled out that this action is linked with the threats.

The threats to Radio Victoria have also attracted
the attention of Amnesty International (AI), a
global organization that works to ensure respect
for human rights. At the time, Amnesty has
demanded the Salvadoran authorities assure an
independent investigation of the case.

The Union of Journalists and Allied Workers of El
Salvador (SINPESS) condemned the threats and
demanded that the authorities investigate these
events, that have been repeated and that
represent a threat to life and to the freedom of
expression of this alternative media. The Union
calls on other unions as well as domestic and
foreign organizations to join their condemnation
and, at the same time, laments all of the
assassinations that have occured because of mining projects in this country.

In addition, the group Communicators Against
Climate Change / El Salvador (C4/El Salvador) has
called on all organizations representing civilian
activity, to speak up and speak out against these
crimes, both nationally and internationally.
///

There is an Amnesty call to action at this address:
http://njailegaction.blogspot.com/2010/01/ai-urgent-action-on-el-salvador.html

It recommends:

PLEASE WRITE IMMEDIATELY in Spanish or your own language:
- Urging the authorities to order a prompt, full
and independent investigation into the threats
against Radio Victoria staff, and the recent
killing of Ramiro Rivera and Dora Alicia Recinos
Sorto environmental activists in Cabañas
department in 2009, and to bring those responsible to justice;
- Urging them to ensure that full protection is
provided to all Radio Victoria staff, and to
members of the Cabañas Environment Committee and
their relatives who have received threats, in accordance with their own wishes.

PLEASE SEND APPEALS BEFORE 15 FEBRUARY 2010 TO:

President
Mauricio Funes
Casa Presidencial
Alameda Dr. Manuel Enrique Araujo, No. 5500
San Salvador
EL SALVADOR
Fax: +503 22 43 99 47
Salutation: Dear President / Estimado Sr. Presidente

Attorney General
Fiscal General
Fiscalía General de la República
Final 4ª Calle Oriente y 19ª Avenida Sur, Residencial Primavera,
Santa Tecla, La Libertad, San Salvador, Salvador
Fax : +503 2523-7402
Salutation: Dear Attorney General / Estimado Sr. Fiscal General

And copies to:
Human Rights Organization
La Fundación de Estudios para la Aplicación de Derecho
25 Calle Poniente No. 1332,
Col Layco
San Salvador, El Salvador
Fax: +503 2236 1833

Also send copies to diplomatic representatives
accredited to your country. Please check with
your section office if sending appeals after the
above date. This is the first update of UA
223/09. Further information: www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/AMR29/001/2009/en