[cma-l] Live Blogging Event Tomorrow

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 20:31:06 GMT 2010

Hello,

Tomorrow we have a community animation event which features the world premmierre of a new film "The Force is With You". Shot entirely in Second Life the film is a collaboration between School Children, Skinningrove Community, Cleveland Police Force and Teesside University (Institute of Digital Innovation). The film deals with the issue of community policing. During the screening we will hook up with Latvia and as a result of this people anywhere should be able to follow the "live blog" at www.saltburn.org.uk where the films will be released in synch with the matinee event at 1.30pm GMT and the evening event at 7.30pm GMT

The Latvian Ministry of Justice issued a press release about this and I have appended that below

Steve Thompson
Community Media Manager
Institute of Digital Innovation
Teesside University
M -  07795 826953
E -  s.d.thompson at tees.ac.uk
W - www.steve-thompson.org.uk

Children in Latvia and England Video-bridge to Know More about the Police

The ministry of Justice, with support from the Ministry of Interior Affairs and State Police in Latvia from one side; with the Institute of Digital Innovation of Teesside University and Cleveland Police in the UK are organizing the event “The Force is With You”. The event will take place on February 11th at Friča Brīvzemnieka Primary School in Latvia and Saltburn Community Theatre in UK.

During a recent International workshop in Vienna about video-bridging we developed collaboration between the UK (Steve Thompson, Barry Hunt), Latvia (Laura Pakalne), Lithuania (Thomas Chepaitis) and Finland (Markus Petz). We discovered, that we we would like to work with similar projects and bring people together from different countries.

This event will start in both places at the same time – GMT 1.30pm. At the beginning the police-force will explain  to children the importance of the emergency number 112, and about safety. We will show Steve’s movie “The Force is With You”, but in end we will video-bridge between Whitecliffe Primary School and Friča Brīvzemnieka Primary School. We will have on-line skype conference with police-men in UK and Latvia during the video-bridge part of the event.

Steve Thompson said: ‘I am really looking forward to our hook up during the event in Saltburn Community Theatre on February 11th and of course our possible collaborations afterwards. I think it  is exciting for the communities I work with and in particular the children, to have this connection with a distant country. The similarity in our work and experiences and the ability to use technology share these experiences across vast distances will open up new horizons for our communities in the North East of England. I look forward to many more collaborative projects with Latvia in the future’.

Laura Pakalne said:  ‘During the recent workshop about video-bridging in Vienna I discovered, that although people came from different countries we have the same problems. We share the same topics to speak about, and things which we can discuss. I am very interested in collaborative projects in the future, because "the police" is not the only topic we can speak about. In my opinion topics can include justice, courts and observance of the law. I am very interested in collaborative work with Steve Thomson, Barry Hunt and Markus Petz, because they know a lot about communication by using videos in an interactive way. I believe, that in the future as we develop our cooperation we will be able to involve people from other countries as well. That is just one of the ways, how we we can exchange views and find the solutions to different problems we all face’.

As well as the Latvia / UK Connection people everywhere will be able to follow the event in a "Live Blog"  at www.saltburn.org.uk at 1.30 pm GMT (Children's Matinée) and 7.30 pm GMT (Evening Launch). There will also be a Video-bridge back-channel reachable through the saltburn.org.uk website.

MORE INFORMATION

LATVIA (In English or Latvian)
Laura Pakalne
Tieslietu ministrijas