[cma-l] Future thoughts for CMA

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 10:54:06 GMT 2010

Mark
There is no "5km Rule"
There never has been!
The 5km is a suggestion for what the usual Community Radio station should aim for.
The criterion has always been - as I have said so many times - that it is up to you as the Applicant to identify your target audience and to tell Ofcom how you proposed to cover it.
Just a few have done that and have been allocated the coverage they want
If you can't or don't do that, then you really have no-one to blame but yourself.
And similarly, if you don't get someone who understands propagation to guide you and prepare your technical submission, you're asking for trouble because you most likely won't cover your desired audience and you therefore won't be able to command the kind of revenue you'll need to stay in business after your set-up funding has gone.
The vast majority of the 190-odd CRs on air at the moment are in this situation and Ofcom currently has said "no chance" for anyone wanting clearance to upgrade transmission.
It has to be said also that the money to put in a sensible transmission system that will do the trick usually isn't made available at the start and that's the other reason why stations are suffering.
I know of one recently that spent £900 on three mic arms and then decided that it couldn't afford a processor.
Crazy!

If you mean asking for more power, then that's quite a different matter from your "5km Rule", but Ofcom will still give you exactly the same message for a long time to come.