[cma-l] Community Radio Future In Doubt?

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Tue Dec 7 11:08:30 GMT 2010

Alan

I agree we should be defining our own future. But I am not sure about your first proposal. The coverage area for "local" DAB services is far larger than for CR stations. For example the "local" DAB service for us (licenced years ago but still not actually built because of the costs!) covers the whole of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire with nine transmitters, effectively providing coverage from London to Birmingham on the M1. We don't want to serve this area even if it was offered to us for free (and it was offered to us at 64 kb mono for several times our annual turnover!). I discussed with both the multiplex operator and OFCOM's Head of Engineering the option of including us on the nearest two transmitters and other CR stations on some of the other transmitters but was told this was "not possible". I am quite sure that it would be technically possible but the idea simply doesn't fit into the existing system of licences and spectrum management for DAB.

So I don't really think the future of CR on a digital platform involves DAB or DAB+ and I expect it to be closed down within the next few years anyway.

But your third suggestion is along the lines of a suggestion I have already made to the BIS/DCMS. I have suggested a pilot using DRM+ for a number of CR stations on the existing "FM" Band II, funded by the Government of course (Note incidently that DRM+ is not just an extension for VHF frequencies but is also a multiplexing system so could offer two different services). At present the only DRM experiment was at BBC Radio Devon on MW and the BBC has officially rejected DRM as an option ever since (although of course the World Service do use DRM already). BIS have told me they will consider this in due course after the work has been done to decide what DAB infrastructure would be needed to "match" the existing FM coverage of the whole UK (so a couple of years from now!).

But let us also be clear that the main "digital" platform  (although not a broadcasting technology) is Internet streaming and most of us are already doing this. Within a very short time this will make us available "digitally" in vehicles as well as on computers, mobile phones and "internet radios" and is clearly the consumers' choice for new radio technology. So maybe all these discussions about platform choices will be redundant anyway!

regards,

Clive Glover