[cma-l] ELFM 24 hour musicathon

info@ht info at headstogether.org
Fri Apr 30 10:16:47 BST 2010

It comes but once a year ... the ELFM Musicathon -  but it is brilliant and yes - that's a 24-hour continuous broadcast including over 300 musicians and not one moment of pre-recorded music - even the jingles are live this year!

Apart from doing it just for the hell of it - we are also looking for support to save a beautiful Methodist Chapel and convert it into studios and a live lounge to die for (complete with organ). Would be great if any other stations could sign the support post at http://www.elfm.co.uk/news/help-us-save-the-chapel/

Thankyou - details below...

Well... the time has come. On Saturday, starting at 3pm, ELFM is broadcasting non-stop for 24 hours from Seacroft Methodist Chapel: 24 hours of music: all live, all local... non-stop

We have rehearsed over 300 musicians, singers, writers, poets and actors this week. The new website is looking good and the chapel is looking lovely.  We've got a programme that includes the best that the Leeds Music Scene can offer -  from Jon Gomm to Hope and Social, from Rosie Doonan to Spirit of John; from Hannah Trigwell to Milk White White Teeth. We've got young people from ten different schools. We've three different choirs, we've got radio drama; we've got writers ready to 'chime' in the hours, we've got fantastic musicians ready to play a dawn chorus at 5am in the morning and we've got Jurassic Park: The Musical... Even reading the full running order is enough to make me a feel a little bit weary.

We've got a fantastic team of volunteers running the whole thing and we really really believe that we can use the momentum that began with the first musicathon last year to save this chapel from demolition and turn it into a community cultural resource - a permanent live broadcast centre.

All we need now ... is some listeners. Please tune in this weekend. All you need to do is go to the website http://www.elfm.co.uk and hit the play button ( you can even watch as well - this year we will be video streaming the whole thing). And whilst your listening, just take a few seconds to send us a message - comment on what you're listening to or just let us know that we've got some support out there for our plan to save the Chapel.

And if you're away somewhere for the weekend. Worry not! Every minute of the 24 hours will be up for you to listen (and watch) again by the end of the Bank Holiday.

Let's go a musicathonning!

Adrian Sinclair
Director - Heads Together Productions and ELFM